Monday, February 16, 2009

Tang

I don't feel very good tonight. I feel like I have a cold coming on, my legs and uterus hurt, and I am tired. When I went to the cupboard to get a couple of Tylenol, I had this sudden craving for HOT TANG. Yes, HOT Tang. It's really simple to make: You warm some water in the microwave and throw in a few tablespoons of orange Tang powder. I made the Tang and headed to the couch to blog. I took my first sip, and it was magical. I love Hot Tang.

I started thinking more about my love for Tang. It started when I was very little at my grandma's or -as we call her- Mimi's house. Mimi always made us hot Tang, pork tenderloin, and eggs for breakfast when we stayed the night. She started my love of Hot Tang. She also started my love of divinity, homemade chicken noodles, and green chili. The woman knows how to cook. She also knows how tickle a back better than anyone I know. She can churn out some amazingly perfect hand-stitched quilts, is awesome at genealogy, puts up with and loves my Papa everyday, writes beautiful poems for her granddaughters, goes to visit my dad and take Debbie out regularly, and calls me and sends me sweet emails to keep in touch. She sings around the house everyday. Hymns, old county, you name it-she sings. She sings whenever she is working. Beautiful, heart-filled songs fill her home. That speaks volumes about the type of woman she is.

So... Besides the fact that I have read that Tang can used to clean a dishwasher, and remove rings in a toilet, I am totally comfortable with professing my love for Tang. It's citrusy goodness often beckons me. Mostly on tired cold mornings, or when I need something soothing after a long day. I used to think it was all about the Tang. But I think that Tang makes me think about my Mimi. It's old and familiar. (Here is where Mimi would say, "like your Mimi." She doesn't think she has a sense of humor but she definitely does.) It's comforting. Like her. It makes me happy. Like her.

(I hope you read this Mim. I love you, and thanks for all your love and help.)

4 comments:

Kassi Jane said...

got to love the grandparents...that sucks youdont feel good on top of everything eles that is going on....stay healthy please!

Granny J said...

Is "Tang" a Round Vally thing? I don't even hear people speaking of it around here but I'm sure someone must drink it in Ruidoso. Mom goes through buckets and buckets of the stuff when everyone comes to visit. (I NEVER buy it!) I'm a water drinker though. But you should know I have had it hot/warm with cinnamon and cloves....yep it's pretty good. You take care!

Granny J said...

Sorry...I do know how to spell Valley.

Actually I just wanted to talk about your Mimi....I totally know she sings all the time around the house. When I use to go over with your mom, your Mimi was always humming!

My mom whistles all the time. Sometimes it's not even tuneful...just airy!

Rogers Family said...

We definitely have the most wonderful grandma ever put on this earth! She also started my love for hot tang. I sometimes miss those days of going to spend the night at Mimi's and all of the cousins were there. We would play dress up in Mimi's clothes and have fashion shows. It was awesome! Then we would go ride Paco with Papa. Sometimes we would ride Winnie, but usually Paco. Those were the days.